If you change your hair color often, you've probably experienced feeling like you just got your hair done not too long ago, and all the sudden, you notice your roots starting to show. Let's face it, it can be frustrating to feel like you just spent money on the perfect blowout just to see your grays or natural color creeping back in.
Although I personally don't dye my curly hair, I've watched pretty much all of the woman in my life go through this to some degree, and something they always have on deck is a high quality root touch-up product. If you're unfamiliar, these formulas function exactly how they sound. If you're noticing that your roots are growing out, the right product will blend that new growth in seamlessly with the rest of your hair.
Outside of the appearance of your hair, there's also the added benefit of being able to extend your time between salon appointments (which also means you're saving money). Still, the market is saturated, making it difficult to determine which brands actually deliver the results you want. So to make your search easier, I went ahead chatted with hairstylists to list out the seven best root touch-up products worth adding to your cart right now. Happy shopping!
The Best Root Touch-Ups, at a Glance
- Best Overall: Madison Reed Root Perfection Root Touch Up Permanent Hair Color Kit
- Runner Up: Nice'n Easy Clairol Root Touch-Up Permanent Hair Color
- Best Multi-Purpose: dpHUE Gloss+ Toning
- Best Splurge: Color Wow Root Coverup Powder
- Best Amonia-Free: Clairol Root Touch-Up Natural Instincts Permanent Hair Dye
The Best Root Touch-Ups in 2026
Best Overall: Madison Reed Root Perfection Root Touch Up Permanent Hair Color Kit

Our top pick goes to Madison Reed's Root Perfection Root Touch Up Permanent Hair Color Kit. It comes with the Color Therapy Colorless Conditioning Mask and the Root Perfection Color Activator. It also contains key ingredients such as keratin, argan oil, and ginseng root extract. "I like the Madison Reed Root Touch Up because I feel it’s the most customizable," says celebrity colorist Cassie Cohen. "The application instructions are extremely easy to follow and it’s gentle but never harsh, making it great for all hair types."
Pros: Ammonia-free, fast processing, customizable coverage
Cons: Single-use, shade matching needed
Size: 1 application kit
Formula Type: Permanent cream hair color
Shade Range: 8
Customer Reviews: "I used this to cover up my gray roots after I had to cancel my hair appointment. It did the job well and blended perfectly with the color I already had - will buy again and use it to space my hair appointments out a little longer."
Runner Up: Nice'n Easy Clairol Root Touch-Up Permanent Hair Color

One of our most affordable and effective buys on our list is Clairol's Nice'n Easy Clairol Root Touch-Up. No surprises here—Cohen loves it to. "I love this for resistant grays because it’s stronger than most at-home options," she says. "It can process darker than expected, so I recommend choosing a half shade lighter if your hair is fine."
Pros: fast processing, gray coverage, affordable
Cons: Shade matching needed
Size: 1.1 oz
Formula Type: Permanent cream hair color
Shade Range: 28
Customer Reviews: "I have been using this product since Covid when hairdressers were closed. I use it for the touch up between salon visits. It's easy to use and the color match is great."
Best Multi-Purpose: dpHUE Gloss+ Toning

If you're willing to splurge, consider something like this deep conditioner from dpHUE. "I recommend this for anyone that is just looking to enhance their current color," says Cohen. "It’s also super-moisturizing and adds shine which results in color looking more rich." She adds that it's most ideal for those who aren't trying to cover grays.
Pros: Adds shine, conditions hair
Cons: Temporary results, no gray coverage
Size: 6.5 oz
Formula Type: Toning gloss
Shade Range: 2
Customer Reviews: "My hair is highlighted blonde but I always get a brassy look after washing it the first time. I've been using purple shampoo, but that wasn't helping. This product mostly worked! It also made it soft and shiny."
Best Splurge: Color Wow Root Coverup Powder

If powder is your preferred formula type, try this expert-approved formula from Color Wow. "This is my go-to recommendation for clients that want temporary coverage," says Cohen. "I love that it’s easy to use, has staying power, and isn’t messy." She adds that it's a great option for last-minute events.
Pros: Instant coverage, water-resistant, precise application
Cons: Temporary, very small size, requires blending
Size: 0.07 oz
Formula Type: Root-covering powder
Shade Range: 8
Customer Reviews: "Was surprised how well this really worked. Didn’t dye or transfer. Not sure how it works but it works great! Will be keeping in stock going forward."
Best Budget: L'Oreal Paris Root Rescue Permanent Hair Color

I've seen this budget-friendly buy in action on multiple occasions so including it in our list felt like a must. For less than $10, you'll get full gray coverage that lasts several weeks. It's easy to apply and it's mess-free. Plus, the whole process only take about 10 to 15 minutes.
Pros: fast processing, gray coverage, precision applicator
Cons: Limited shade range, some don't like the smell
Size: Single kit
Formula Type: Permanent gel hair color
Shade Range: 5
Customer Reviews: "I love this stuff. It’s always my go to when the grays around my hair line start to show a little more than I like. I like how easy it is to apply and how quickly it works too. I’ve been able to quickly apply this before taking my daily shower and it always turns out great."
Best Amonia-Free: Clairol Root Touch-Up Natural Instincts Permanent Hair Dye

My mom recently gave this root touch-up a try, and both of us were super impressed by the results. I've watched her test plenty of these kinds of formulas over the years, but this one gave her an undeniable salon-like finish. It took slightly longer than some of the other picks on this list, but according to her, the results were worth it.
Pros: Ammonia-free, gray coverage, no harsh smell
Cons: Longer processing, requires mixing
Size: 1.1 oz
Formula Type: Permanent cream hair color
Shade Range: 10
Customer Reviews: "I love Clairol natural instincts. I have been covering my grey roots for 15 years using this product. I use the root touch up in between salon colors to save on money. I find that Natural Instincts maintains my cover longer leaves my hair looking like it was just professionally done."
Best for Travel: Bumble and bumble Color Stick Root Coverup

If you want a product that's travel-friendly and provides precision, try Bumble and bumble's Color Stick Root Coverup. You'll get instant coverage that comes off easily with shampoo. It functions just like a crayon—the more pressure you apply the darker the appears.
Pros: Easy application, instant coverage, shampoo-removable
Cons: Temporary, small in size
Size: 0.12 oz
Formula Type: Temporary color stick
Shade Range: 2
Customer Reviews: "This product is great for a quick fix... especially when I need to tie my hair up. It stays on well and doesn't come off in my hands if I touch my hair."
How We Chose
As with all of our buying guides at Who What Wear, we compile our edits based on original testing and expert recommendations. To find the best root touch-ups, we leaned heavily on industry insiders, first-hand testing, and our knowledge as beauty experts. We also considered several factors, including shade range, formula type, and customer reviews. We're aware of how important these factors are for a wide range of needs and preferences, so we made sure to list out all the helpful details.
Why Trust Who What Wear
At Who What Wear, we know that beauty isn't one-size-fits-all. Since 2006, our editors have tested thousands of products—including skincare, makeup, haircare, and nails—while also working closely with trusted experts, like renowned dermatologists, celebrity makeup artists, and other leading industry insiders. Together, this ensures every guide is well-researched, inclusive, and relevant to you.
Who What Wear has been a digital fashion, beauty, and lifestyle publication and community where people can discover the latest brands, trends, and must-have products to help define and evolve their personal style. Think of Who What Wear as your most trusted style and shopping resource.
from Latest from Who What Wear